GLOBAL SPECTRUM is committed to reducing the use of natural resources and the amount of waste that results from various events and activities that take place at the Ryan Center and Boss Ice Arena. These efforts are part of a corporate initiative called the Global Spectrum STEP UP Program, which is a program designed to enhance our corporate image and distinguish us as a socially and environmentally responsible organization.
The Ryan Center and Boss Ice Arena are committed to achieving maximum sustainable operations in our facilities. Working with our vendor partner, LIKARR Maintenance Systems, one of the regions largest and fastest growing companies in the Facility Supply Distribution Industry, the Ryan Center and Boss Ice Arena utlize the latest technologies in equipment, chemical management systems and best practices to provide a GREENER, cleaner and
healthier environment for our staff, clients and patrons.
What does "GREEN" really mean?
All Green Earth products have ALL of the following environmentally sustainable attributes:
- No 2 - Butoxyethanol
- No alkaline builders
- Diluted concentrates have a pH less than or equal to 10.0
- Ingredients are non-carcinogenic
- Less than 0.5% total phosphorus
- Use-solutions do not contribute to smog formation or poor indoor air quality
- No heavy metals
- No alkyl phenol ethoxylates
- Primary packages are recyclable
- Low skin, eye and respiratory irritation potential
- No ozone-depleting substances
New equipment and supplies continue to be updated to make the facilities more efficient. A new product that was updated recently was BETCO FASTDRAW, an innovative multi-product dispensing system offering the most compact design in the market. The dispensing unit contains four concentrated products to quickly dispense the appropriate product at the proper dilution, reducing chemical waste and maintaing consistent cleaning results. The Fastdraw chemical management system not only cuts costs by using exact dilution control levels and eliminating any room for human error, but it reduces the excessive use of water when manually diluting products. The Fastdraw System reduces the carbon footprint by also decreasing chemical and plastic in the waste stream. Here's how:
- ONE concentrated bottle of Fastdraw product can replace up to 544 ready to use quarts! If it takes over 700 years for a single RTU bottle to decompose, and a facility uses 1 RTU bottle a week, that is 36,400 years just to decompose the RTU bottles a facility is using yearly! The Ryan Center and Boss Ice Arena have made the commitment to decreasing their carbon footprint by reducing that number to 1 silk-screened bottle made with 50% less plastic than the average bottle.
Through Global Spectrum's relationship with Waste Management, the Ryan Center and Boss Ice Arena environmental efforts have produced the following annual savings:
- 141,912 kW-hrs of electricity (enough to power 12 homes for a full year)
- 3,120 gallons of oil (enough energy to heat and cool 12 homes for a full year)
- 744 gallons of gasoline (enough gasoline to drive 20,736 miles)
- 420 mature trees (enough to produce 5,167,980 sheets of newspaper)
- 215,976 gallons of water (enough to meet the fresh water needs of 960 people for a year)
- 132 cubic yards of landfill airspace (enough airspace to meet the disposal needs of a community of 1,968 people
Some notable environmentally conscious products that we currently use include:
- Green Earth Peroxide Cleaner: All purpose carpet spot and stain remover that removes stubborn carpet stains without leaving residue which can cause re-soiling.
- Green Earth Daily Disinfectant Cleaner: Neutral formula will not dull finished floor and meets standard for decontamination of blood borne pathogens.
- Light Bulbs: Energy efficient light fixtures to reduce energy use.
- In our North and South lobbies, seven hanging lights have been converted from 400 - watt metal halide to a 116 - watt fixture. The lamps used in the old fixtures were 400 - watt metal halide and have been replaced by 26 watt CFL lamp fixtures. Not only is the cost savings per bulb significant, but the energy consumed by the new fixtures has been reduced from 9.9 electrical KW/H to 2.7 KW/H. In addition, the light level (measured in foot candles) in the lobbies has increased by more than 500%.
- Paper Towels: Vondrhle brown roll paper towels made of one hundred percent recycled paper.
- Toilet Tissues: ECO LOGO Certified and EPA Certified recycled product that implements the new core-less (waste-less) system that doubles the capacity of tissues from the old system while reducing waste corrugated, wrappers and cores. The core-less tissue is in a heavy duty plastic bag that doubles as a trash liner and uses no wrapper and has no cardboard core resulting in reduction of trash overhauling fees.
- Soap: GOJO Green Seal Certified TFX foam soap.